Unless you are living under a rock you have been affected in one way or another by the corona virus. While the mainstream races for a vaccine and drug solution we have been preaching for 18 years about the benefit of keeping your central nervous system clear so your body can function at its best. There are many things you can do in your daily life that will help build long term health and immunity. In this article we would like to discuss the upper necks role in the health process. We will discuss research that suggests keeping your spine clear of spinal misalignment and nervous system interference can help improve natural immunity.
The Nervous System Controls the Immune System
The nervous system and immune system connection are only a recent discovery. Fifteen years ago, it was thought that that the immune system had its own brain independent of the nervous system. However, recent research has shown that the immune system is under the direct control of the central nervous system. (1) In fact, there is a new discipline in science that is not very old called Psychoneuroimmunology. This new idea is transforming the way health care views immunity and explains how so many patients with immune system related health conditions can be helped through upper cervical care.
The nervous, immune, and endocrine systems share messenger molecules that mediate communication between them. One of these messenger molecules, IL-2, used to be classically thought of as an immune system molecule; however, studies published within the past decade have clearly shown IL-2's presence and activity in the nervous system (2). One recent pioneering study, "Enhancement of in vitro interleukin-2 production in normal subjects following a single spinal manipulative treatment" clearly demonstrated an increase in IL-2 levels and also in the function of T-cells, which are key players in the immune system's army of cells, following chiropractic adjustment. (3) The authors concluded that chiropractic adjustment can influence the biological immune response.
While there has NOT been any large-scale scientific funding to carry out a large study on the role the chiropractic adjustment has on influencing the immune system following chiropractic adjustment, there are thousands and thousands of anecdotal recoveries in clinics throughout the country. In our office we routinely see patients recover their health after having repeated sinus infections, repeated ear infections, autoimmune conditions and more. There is an obvious connection between the nervous system, the immune system, and correcting spinal misalignment that interferes with both.
Research - Immunity and Upper Cervical Chiropractic Care
- In 1994 a study carried out by the late Dr. John Grostic looked to see how Upper Cervical correction affected CD4 count in HIV positive patients. CD4 is an immune marker that was monitored in patients who suffered from HIV back in the 1990's. (4) The study size was small, twenty-two patients, none the less the findings were striking. In the group that received precise atlas corrections their CD 4 counts increased by 48 percent. In the control group they decreased by 8 percent. Dr. Grostic stopped the study before its completion date of 6 months because he felt a moral obligation to get the control group under care also.
- Enhanced phagocytic cell respiratory burst induced by spinal manipulation: potential role of substance P.
In this study Dr. Brenna What is also interesting is the power of one chiropractic visit on immunology. In 1991, Patricia Brennan, Ph.D., leading a team of researchers, discovered an immediate immune boost following a single chiropractic adjustment. The study showed a “phagocytic respiratory burst of polymorphonuclear neutrophils (PMN) and monocytes” right after being adjusted by chiropractors. 9 Phagocytes are, the white blood cells that go out, engulf, and destroy unwanted cells and foreign invaders).
- A study published in 1987 determined a link between the nervous system and the immune system. Dr. Felton, an endocrinologist, along with his research team found that “the neurotransmitter, norepinephrine is present in sympathetic nerve fibers that innervate lymphoid organs and act on the spleen.” (5) Norepinephrine in lymphoid organs plays a significant role in the regulation of the immune system. The authors of the study determined, “Stressful conditions lead to altered measures of immune function and altered susceptibility to a variety of diseases. Many stimuli, which primarily act on the central nervous system, can profoundly alter immune responses. The two routes available to the central nervous system are neuroendocrine channels and autonomic nerve channels.” Conclusion; the immune system is highly impacted by the nerve system through the interconnection between the autonomic portion of the nervous system and the endocrine system.
This link between the spine and the immune system also lines up with a study by Ronald Pero, Ph.D., chief of cancer prevention research at New York’s Preventive Medicine Institute and professor of medicine at New York University. It showed the positive effect that chiropractic care can have on the immune system and general health.
- Dr. Pero measured the immune systems of people under chiropractic care as compared to those in the general population and those with cancer and other serious diseases. His initial three-year study was of 107 individuals who had been under chiropractic care for five years or more. The chiropractic patients were found to have a 200% greater immune competence than those people who had not received chiropractic care, and they had 400% greater immune competence than those people with cancer and other serious diseases. The immune system’s superiority of those under chiropractic care did not appear to diminish with age. Dr. Pero stated: “When applied in a clinical framework, I have never seen a group other than this chiropractic group to experience a 200% increase over the normal patients. This is why it is so dramatically important. We have never seen such a positive improvement in a group.” (6)
The Pero study is especially telling that long-term regular chiropractic care has a positive effect on health, immune resistance, and vitality. Upper Cervical Chiropractic is NOT a treatment for disease but a long-term lifestyle choice whose goal is to maximize nervous system function and integrity. The bottom line is you are better off without nervous system interference than with it.
We have just presented some pretty dry information but the take home message for any of you that are scared of corona virus or any other health issues is that you must take proactive measures to bolster your health and immunity. Regular upper cervical chiropractic visits are one way that you can maximize your bodies ability to function at its best during these trying times.
What Exactly Does an Upper Cervical Chiropractor Do?
Blair Upper Cervical doctors are specially trained to locate spinal misalignments in the upper cervical spine and correct them. Spinal misalignment is located by running a battery of neurological tests that locate the spinal segments that have been injured and misaligned by a prior neck Injury.
Once located, precision imaging in the form of digital x-ray or cone beam computed tomography (Cbct) are used to precisely determine which joint has misaligned and the angulation of the misaligned joint.
Each person’s anatomy is different and therefore imaging is used to uncover the blueprint to be used to correct each patient’s individual misalignment pattern.
Once this information is gleaned, a gentle, light correction is made without twisting, popping, or pulling.
The patient is then monitored over time to ensure that the correction is holding. If the testing indicates the need for another correction, then it is performed. However, the goal of Blair Upper Cervical Care is for the patient to stay in “adjustment”.
It isn’t the correction that produces healing. It is the removal of nerve irritation and the adjustment “holding” in its normal position that allows the body to function better and proceed through a healing process.
If you have come across this article our office offers a FREE consultation. Our Los Angeles office number is 213 399-7772. Or our Carson office number is 310 324-6172.
If you are outside of the Los Angeles area you can call either of these two numbers and we would be happy to find you a Blair upper cervical doctor in your area.
4. Selano JL, Hightower BC, Pfleger B, Feeley-Collins K, Grostic JD. “The Effects of Specific Upper Cervical Adjustments on the CD4 Counts of HIV Positive Patients.” The Chiro Research Journal; 3(1); 1994.
5. Felton DL, Felton SY, Belonged DL, et al. "Noradrenergic sympathetic neural intera actions with the immune system: structure and function." Immunol Rev. 1987 Dec;100:225-6
6. Pero R. "Medical Researcher Excited By CBSRF Project Results." The Chiropractic Journal, August 1989;