In the USA heart disease is the number one cause of death in both men and women. Heart disease can express itself in multiple ways: heart attack, coronary artery disease, arrhythmia, heart valve problems, and cardiomyopathy. Regardless of the type of heart disease, it is essential the central nervous system is functioning optimally.
Having regular check-ups at an upper cervical chiropractor can help ensure that your central nervous system is working at its potential. There are many things you can do that can lower your risk factors for heart disease one of which is upper cervical chiropractic care which we will discuss at length in this article.
By downloading the ChiroWebMD mobile app you can better control your patient portal.
With chiropractic care, you might be able to not only manage your current heart condition, but you may also be able to ward off getting heart disease altogether. It may seem shocking to most people that chiropractic treatments may be able to help treat people suffering from heart problems, especially since chiropractic is usually associated with chronic back pain, neck pain and headache issues.
But chiropractic is a natural, non-invasive natural health care procedure that has been used to maximize nervous system function in patients with heart disease. While upper cervical chiropractic is NOT a cure-all it can help the body function better and is not only a good preventative health measure but also can help people with acute health problems.
Heart Health - Chiropractic and the Cardiovascular System
Dr. Wolfson, a cardiologist out of Arizona says, “adding regular chiropractic checkups to your health program can help prevent heart disease. “1.
How Chiropractic Care Helps Your Heart
The heart and blood vessels are connected to the central nervous system by millions of tiny connections. One major attachment is the vagus nerve (which comes from the brain) and the autonomic nervous system (which has input into the entire body).
These nerves control heart rate and blood pressure, both essential factors for heart health. Since chiropractic care positively impacts these nerves, its benefits to the heart can be tremendous.
5 Heart Health Benefits Related to Chiropractic Care
There are five proven different ways chiropractic care can help prevent or treat cardiovascular disease:
- Lowers blood pressure – A landmark study done by Dr. Dickholtz in concert with Chicago memorial hospital showed significant improvement in blood pressure when upper cervical chiropractors adjust the 1st vertebra, called the Atlas(2).
- Improves nerve function of the heart – Correction of vertebral subluxation(spinal misalignments) improves autonomic tone, and it impacts the heart, lungs, gastrointestinal tract, kidneys, bladder, sex organs and just about every other part of the body (3).
- Decreases blood markers of inflammation –increased inflammation increases your risk of cardiovascular events (4)
- Improves heart rate variability – the more your heart rate bounces around, the longer you will live. Many patients with severe heart issues have problems in this area (5).
- Improves lung function – chiropractic care has been proven effective in patients with asthma and emphysema (6) and poor lung function has been linked to heart failure.
This is not to say that people should be flippant about a heart condition and forego medical care, however, regular spinal checkups are a common-sense approach that everyone should add to their health management program.
What is Blair Upper Cervical Chiropractic | How Can it Maximize Health?
Blair's upper cervical technique is a unique system that determines whether nerve interference exists in the upper cervical spine due to spinal misalignment caused by prior neck injury.
Blair Upper Cervical Doctors are trained to exam patients with a battery of neurological tests to determine the presence or absence of nerve interference.
Once nerve interference is detected special articular X-rays or cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT)are utilized to ascertain the direction and magnitude of spinal misalignment. This information is unique to each individual and is used to make precise spinal correction which involves no twisting, popping, or pulling.
Once corrected the patient is monitored over time to determine whether further corrections are necessary. The goal of upper cervical care is to restore normal motion to the spinal segments which then restores normal nervous system function. Stabilization and decreasing the necessity for correction is the goal so long-term nervous system function can be optimized.
- Can Chiropractic Care Prevent or Treat Cardiovascular Disease?
- Special chiropractic adjustment lowers blood pressure among hypertensive patients with the misaligned c-1 vertebra
- Sympathetic and parasympathetic responses to specific diversified adjustments to chiropractic vertebral subluxations of the cervical and thoracic spine
- Immune Responses to Spinal Manipulation
- Effect of chiropractic care on heart rate variability and pain in a multisite clinical study.
- The Use of Spinal Manipulative Therapy in the Management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: A Systematic Review