Can Scoliosis be treated by a chiropractor? – What is Scoliosis?
What is Scoliosis? Scoliosis is curvature of the spine that is measured with Cobb angle and must be over 19 degrees. Scoliosis affects females by about a 2 to 1 margin and its onset is usually in adolescent. Now to answer, what is scoliosis? We would say that it is a neuromuscular syndrome that can have many causes. One cause can be upper cervical spinal misalignment. Injury to the upper cervical spine can interfere with the postural centers that exist in the brain stem. If this center is irritated from structural misalignment at the base of the skull it can cause the muscles throughout the spine to become asymmetric and cause scoliosis. In this article we would like to discuss a little known procedure called Blair upper cervical chiropractic and how it can help people that suffer with a curved spine, lumbar scoliosis, spine curvature, and other types of scoliosis. We would also like to discuss scoliosis symptoms, scoliosis treatment and things you can do to help mitigate this health issue.
What is Scoliosis
Scoliosis Definition: abnormal lateral curvature or rotatory curvature of the spine.
Scoliosis Symptoms in Kids
- Child’s shoulders are two different heights.
- Child’s head doesn’t look centered with the rest of his body.
- One hip is higher than the other or sticks out(rotated)
- ribs are pushed out more on one side than the other
- When the child stands straight, his arms don’t hang down straight next to his body.
- When child bends forward, the two sides of his back are different heights
Symptoms -Scoliosis in Adults
- Hips And Shoulders uneven
- Lower back has a bump that sticks out
- Numbness, weakness, or pain in the legs
- Trouble walking
- Trouble standing up straight
- Shortness of breath
- Loss of height
- Trouble Breathing Deeply
- Feeling full quickly while you eat. This is because your spine is putting pressure on your stomach.
What is Scoliosis and What Types of Scoliosis Are There?
Medically speaking scoliosis is not diagnosed until cobb angle on a full spine x-ray reaches 19 degrees. Severe scoliosis is diagnosed when scoliotic curves exceed 30 degrees.
- Kyphoscoliosis: a combination of outward and lateral spine curvature
- Dextroscoliosis: Curvature of spine that is bent toward the right
- Rotoscoliosis (rotatory): curvature of the spine turned on its axis
- Levoconvex: curvature of the spine bent to the left
- Thoracolumbar: curvature of the spine that involves both the thoracic and lumbar spine.
Some scoliosis only affects the lumbar spine and is called lumbar scoliosis and others can only affect the thoracic spine called thoracic scoliosis.
What Are the Causes of Scoliosis? – What Is Scoliosis
- Functional: In this type of scoliosis, the spine is normal, but an abnormal curve develops because of a problem somewhere else in the body. This could be caused by one leg being shorter than the other or because of chronic muscle imbalance the back.
- Neuromuscular: This type of scoliosis there is a problem in embryonic development and affects the development of the spinal architecture. In this type of scoliosis, there is a problem when the bones of the spine are formed. Either the bones of the spine fail to form completely, or they fail to separate from each other during embryology and is called a block vertebrae. This type of congenital scoliosis develops in people with other disorders, including birth defect, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy or Marfan’s Syndrome.People with these conditions can develop curvature of the spine that is long and C-shaped and have weak muscles that are unable to hold them up straight. Curvature found at birth tends to cause severe long-term complications and often needs surgical intervention.
- Degenerative: Degenerative scoliosis occurs in adults and is due to long standing metabolic disorders which affect the integrity of the bone structure as inCushing’s disease and osteoporosis.
Scoliosis Treatment-What Is Scoliosis?
Medical treatment for scoliosis is management not correction unless it is severe enough o require surgery. Traditionally, medical care will refer out to physical therapy using exercise to bring balance and symmetry to the body. Traditional therapy is happy to halt scoliosis s progress not correct it.
Natural Treatment For Scoliosis-Upper Cervical Chiropractic Care in Los Angeles
In our Los Angeles based upper cervical health care offices we have seen all types of scoliosis filter through our doors over the last 18 years. Our approach to scoliosis cases is unconventional and can be effective for many types of scoliosis not as a cure but as a common-sense approach to supporting health. Since the postural muscle tone of the spine is controlled and regulated in the brain stem, making sure that the upper cervical spine is free from structural misalignment and brain stem irritation is vital to the body’s functional capacity. The goal of the upper cervical procedure is to locate and correct any structural aberration in the neck to thereby allow the central nervous system function optimally. Because this region affects postural tone, many cases of scoliosis can either halt or improve with care. While the goal of upper cervical care isn’t to straighten the spine, correcting spinal misalignment known as SUBLUXATION can have profound effects on posture and overall body health. It is imperative that anyone suffering with postural imbalance, such as scoliosis, to be checked for upper cervical spinal subluxation. What is scoliosis? Some of it can be caused or partially caused by spinal misalignment.
What is Blair Upper Cervical Care?- What Is Scoliosis
Blair Upper Cervical Chiropractors are well trained specialty doctors who focus ALL of their attention on the relationship of the skull, atlas, axis, and their relationship to the brainstem and associated spinal nerves. The Blair Upper Cervical Doctor runs a battery of tests to locate spinal cord pressure and interference resulting from spinal misalignment. Once the patient is determined in having spinal misalignment precise imaging is taken to using cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) or digital x-ray to visualize the joints and how they fit. Each joint in the upper cervical spine fits as a mirror image with the other. If spinal misalignment exists by viewing each joint the doctor can determine exactly how the vertebrae has misaligned from normal and determine the angulation of the joint. This information, which is unique to each individual, is then used in making a precise spinal correction without using any twisting, popping, or pulling. The goal of the care is to stabilize the biomechanics of the upper cervical spine, so the central nervous system can function without structural interference.
Correction of the upper cervical spine allows the central nervous system to function more normally. Once corrected the spine will strive towards better posture, cervical curve loss will correct towards a more normal lordosis, in doing so pressure and strain on the spinal cord is relieved and more normal function ensues. While Blair Upper Cervical Care is NOT a cure all for scoliosis it can help improve the quality of life for the person affected and in some cases halt or correct certain types of scoliosis. Correcting the upper cervical spine is not only good for certain cases of scoliosis but is also a health care procedure that should be used by everyone to ensure proper nervous system function. If you or a loved one sufferer with scoliosis or other chronic health issues our office offers a FREE consultation where you can have your questions answered and go through an exam that will determine whether your case can be helped or not.
To schedule you can call 310 324-6172 for our Carson office or 213 399-7772 for our Los Angeles office.
If you are outside of the Los Angeles area you can call our office and we would be happy to find you an upper cervical doctor in your location. We hope this article has answered , “what is scoliosis” and has given information that is outside of conventional health circles that will help those that suffer and are looking for natural health solutions.